Fantail Bird Pendant - Silver and Gold
This beautiful fantail bird pendant is a popular piece. The contrast of the gold fantail against the silver frame beautifully enhances this elegant design. The NZ fantail or 'Piwakawaka' is known for its friendly ‘cheet cheet’ call and energetic flying antics, the aptly named fantail is one of the most common and widely distributed native birds on the New Zealand mainland.
- pendant size - pear shape is 2cm long
- sterling silver and 9ct yellow gold
- available in other metals. Contact us for a quote
- includes sterling silver chain length 45 cm
- handmade in our Nelson workshop
- FREE SHIPPING within New Zealand
Have you ever been followed around by a fantail walking through the bush or working in the garden? Fluttering around, waiting for you to disturb the soil and stir up the insects for them to eat. Fantails use their broad tails to change direction quickly while hunting for insects. They sometimes hop around upside-down among tree ferns and foliage to pick insects from the underside of leaves. Their main prey are moths, flies, spiders, wasps, and beetles, although they sometimes also eat fruit. They seldom feed on the ground.